There's a small handful of questions on the site that relate to overtone singing, but they use fairly divergent terminology so it's hard to collect them all. An overtone-singing tag would encompass such diverse keywords as:

  • kargyraa
  • sygyt
  • khoomei
  • throat singing
  • harmonic singing

Here are a few questions that would fall under such a tag. (Yesterday I could have sworn there were more, but I fail to find them now…)

What say y'all?

  • 1
    I wonder if we might not be better served by a broader [extended-techniques] tag, which would also encompass questions about string harmonics, brass flutter tonguing, etc. (It's worth acknowledging, however, that "extended-technique" could be considered Eurocentric, as it's common usage is relative to standard techniques on Western instruments.)
    – Aaron
    Sep 30, 2021 at 22:52
  • 1
    @Aaron I'm surprised there isn't already such a tag! Though I do agree with your assessment that it's kind of Eurocentric — to a kargyraa performer, kargyraa technique is "normal" technique.
    – henrebotha
    Oct 1, 2021 at 11:28
  • I would say [overtone-singing] makes sense to me as it actually encompasses multiple different historical practices (Tibetan, Tuvan, Mongolian, etc) that have techniques that are common across them, as well as modern usage of the same (e.g. in prog rock or whatever).
    – henrebotha
    Oct 1, 2021 at 11:32
  • 3
    Can you edit your original question to include some of the questions you're proposing be re-tagged?
    – Richard Mod
    Oct 1, 2021 at 11:50
  • I wonder if there's some other term that would serve the same purpose. By having a voice-specific tag plus, presumably, a different tag for other instruments, it creates a potential tagging/searching problem. I would know to look for an [extended-techniques] tag, because it's a common term across all types of instruments, but I wouldn't know to search for [overtone-singing] unless I read through the list of all possible tags. Maybe we can come up with a term that means what "extended-techniques" is trying to convey but without the implied Eurocentrism. Some kind of "technique-*" term, ...?
    – Aaron
    Oct 1, 2021 at 12:44


You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .