We have been dancing around this for quite a while, but I feel we need to talk about it. We really need to solidify scope if we want to get out of beta. I don't think it will be an easy nor a fast process, but we need to do it.
As a starting point let's look at the on-topic section of the FAQ. As of this post this is what it contains:
Musical Practice and Performance Stack Exchange is for musicians, students, and enthusiasts. If you have a question about...
- practice & performance technique
- music theory and notation, history, or composition
- instrument maintenance
- usage of specific music software
and it is not about...
- identifying a song, genre, instrument, etc.
- shopping, product or music search, or buying/selling recommendations
audio production techniques and equipment(Removed)
- listening recommendations or recommendations of pieces to play
- requesting a list of resources
- legal issues
... then you're in the right place to ask your question!
The above is what we would like every new user to see along with having them take the tour to understand how site works, but I feel we have deviated from this as a community.
Do we need to add anything to either list? Do we need to clarify or reword anything on either list? Do we need to remove anything from these lists? If you think anything needs to be changed please point it out and give the reasoning behind this and we'll see how the community feels. If not, great and we can focus more on the little intricate details like we have been doing.
Whatever we decide, let's do it as a community.