I play guitar, sing, write songs & instrumental works. I have played guitar, bass and clarinet in college bands and local musicals. Very rarely I play at open-mics, usually lots of radiohead. Youtube channel.
FIRST and above all, an explanation must do justice to the thing that is to be explained, must not devaluate it, interpret it away, belittle it, or garble it, in order to make it easier to understand. The question is not "At what view of the phenomenon must we arrive in order to explain it in accordance with one or another philosophy?" but precisely the reverse: "What philosophy is requisite if we are to live up to the subject, be on a level with it?" The question is not how the phenomenon must be turned, twisted, narrowed, crippled so as to be explicable, at all costs, upon principles that we have once and for all resolved not to go beyond. The question is: "To what point must we enlarge our thought so that it shall be in proportion to the phenomenon..."
Schelling, Philosophie der Mythologie. qtd. in V. Zuckerkandl, Sound and Symbol.
"Heartache" is a poeticism, but here it becomes an actual fact because his pride would not let him suffer the pain in his soul. The "lump in the throat," the so-called globus hystericus, comes, as everyone knows, from swallowed tears. His consciousness had simply withdrawn from contents that were too painful to him, and these, left to themselves, could reach consciousness only indirectly, as symptoms. All this was a rationally understandable and perfectly intelligible process, which could just as well have passed off consciously, had it not been for his masculine pride.
The Portable Jung, p.31
The conviction of ignorance is a necessary first step to the acquisition of knowledge, for no one is going to seek knowledge on any subject if he is under the delusion that he already possesses it.
W.K.C. Guthrie. The Greek Philosophers from Thales to Aristotle.
- Stack Overflow 17.9k 17.9k 33 gold badges4949 silver badges9898 bronze badges
- Music: Practice & Theory 14.6k 14.6k 77 gold badges5858 silver badges106106 bronze badges
- Code Golf 4.8k 4.8k 22 gold badges3232 silver badges5858 bronze badges
- Science Fiction & Fantasy 2.3k 2.3k 22 gold badges1818 silver badges3131 bronze badges
- Code Review 1.8k 1.8k 1212 silver badges2929 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 69 Explanation of C++ FAQ's unsafe macro?
- 54 What does mode_t 0644 mean?
- 53 How to insert a block of white spaces starting at the cursor position in vi?
- 50 How to enter non-ascii characters using hex or octal codes in vi
- 50 Is there an equivalent term to "Cold Turkey" for starting something instead of quitting something?
- 46 List of average genre tempo (BPM) levels?
- 41 Emulate an Intel 8086 CPU
- View more network posts →