I'm an software engineer with a focus on web and iOS development. I started programming computers as a hobby when I was a kid, beginning with Logo and progressing through BASIC, Pascal, PHP, and Scheme before coming across the nirvana that is Python. I used to be the head of the math department at an independent school here in Brooklyn, NY, where I taught mainly calculus courses and started experimenting with incorporating CS concepts into my school's math curriculum.
I come from a musical family---my father was the Principle Bassoon in the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra for almost forty years (yes, I've heard the joke about our last name, and yes, it's funny), and my uncle was a Julliard-trained cellist in the Atlanta Symphony for at least as long. I started playing the piano when I was five, and I picked up the guitar and bass at fifteen. About three years ago I started learning to play clawhammer banjo, and I can't seem to put it down. :) My main musical interests center around jazz and American folk music.
- Music: Practice & Theory 19.5k 19.5k 22 gold badges5555 silver badges9292 bronze badges
- Stack Overflow 4.7k 4.7k 55 gold badges2424 silver badges4242 bronze badges
- Mathematics 2.1k 2.1k 33 gold badges1919 silver badges2828 bronze badges
- Area 51 451 451 77 bronze badges
- Super User 415 415 11 gold badge66 silver badges1212 bronze badges
- View network profile →
Top network posts
- 596 What is bootstrapping?
- 110 Is there any real-world difference between time signatures such as 4/4 and 8/8?
- 107 What's the difference between predicate and propositional logic?
- 92 Most interesting mathematics mistake?
- 75 What are some chord substitutions for a I-IV-V blues progression?
- 64 Produce an explicit bijection between rationals and naturals?
- 58 Ways to get out of a scalar rut?
- View more network posts →